Monday, February 27, 2012

D-Day or Should I say B-Day?

Dearest Charlie,

I have to start off by telling you about your father's vision for my going into labor experience.  I think he had seen too many movies about women going into labor because he thought that there would be a big gush of water, I would look at him with wide eyes and exclaim, "My water just broke.  It's time."  He would run and get the bags and we would rush off to the hospital.  I had heard many labor-and-delivery stories over the years, and many of them did not go that way.  I kept telling your dad to not get his heart set on that experience because many women go into labor before their water breaks.  However, your grammy and I thought we would have some fun with him.  All of us were in the grocery store, and your sister was sitting in the cart with her sippy cup.  While your dad was off looking at something, Ella took her sippy cup and threw it on the floor and splashed water all over the floor.  When your dad came back over to us, Grammy said to him, "Look Brandon, Shelley's water just broke."  His eyes grew large and he smiled, "Really!"  I couldn't believe he bought it.  "No," I sarcastically replied.  He was so angry at us, but your Grammy and I thought it was totally worth it!

Ok, back to your birthday story.  Around 10:45 at night, Grammy, your dad, and I are all sitting around the table playing cards when I hear a loud "pop."  I thought, "Hmmm, that was weird."  Then suddenly I felt something warm down below.  I looked up and said, "I think my water just broke?"  I called Trish Ellsworth to come and pick up Ella, we grabbed the bags, and headed to the hospital.  I was so excited that your dad got to have his movie moment after all.

A few weeks before you were born, I was debating over having you naturally.  As soon as the contractions began, I knew that natural delivery was not a good choice for me.  I was so scared that I was shaking all over, but I was also very excited that you were finally coming.  About two hours after we got to the hospital, I was administered an epidural, which is the best thing in the whole world!

After that, your Grammy was allowed into the room, and we waited for you to come.  I think I even took a little nap.  At around 2:30 in the morning, the nurses told me it was time to start pushing.  I had a great delivery nurse who was so kind and patient.  I think her name was Loni (Leiloni?).
She called Dr. Vining and told him to come to the hospital to deliver you.  We were so lucky that he was in town because he had been out of town that whole week.
He was not happy about your Grammy taking his picture at 3:00 in the morning, but I'm glad she took it anyway.
I pushed for about an hour and a half because your big head was stuck in my little birth canal.  I guess it was a good thing that you took a while to deliver because your Nana and Papa were driving in from San Diego to be there.  They arrived in time for your Nana to be in the delivery room with us. Luckily, we didn't need to use the vacuum or any other strange tools to get you out.  At 3:53 in the morning, you finally came!

I couldn't wait to hold you!

And neither could anyone else.
This pic was taken the next day, but Trish was still excited to hold you.
The next day we were moved to a postpartum room, and we hung out there for a little over a day.  Your daddy changed your first poopy diaper.

Your sister came to visit you.  It was love at first sight.

You and your daddy took naps together.

And just before we were ready to check out, Kyle and Caloni came and visited too.

We finally got to take you home.

I would have to say that after hearing so many horror stories of difficult labor-and-deliveries, it wasn't as bad as I had expected.  You came pretty quickly, I wasn't in pain for a very long time, and the joy of having you in my arms surpassed any discomfort I previously had.  I love you so much, and I am so grateful that I got to experience the miracle of bringing you into this world.  Ahhh, I love my family.


Love,
Mom




No comments:

Post a Comment